Sunday, April 15, 2007

Don't leave home without it - some help using Fighter Verses

Bethlehem Baptist Church has a unique and very helpful Bible memory program. The whole church works together on one "Fighter Verse" each week. They have several free resources on their website about these. They also sell the program to use in your church. If you don't have a plan to meditate and memorize scripture then "Fighter Verses" are a great place to start. Here is a clip from their website:

What Are Fighter Verses?
Fighter Verses are short passages of Scripture which we as a church have chosen to memorize each week. The Scripture, day after day, reveals to us the greatness of all that God is for us in Christ so that by the power of the Spirit we find our joy in him and the ways of sin become distasteful -- indeed ugly and repugnant.
I want to encourage parents to use this system both personally and with their family. The verse selection is perfect for family worship, God-centered teaching moments in the car or any opportunity to point your children toward Christ. I'm adding the Fighter Verse feed to my sidebar and children's ministry aggregator.

I would be interested to know if people outside of Bethlehem are using this program. Just leave a comment and let me know. I use some at my church but we have not instituted a church wide program yet. I do want to start using Fighter Verses consistently with my family.

Next week I will begin a regular post explaining and offering a short devotion on the new fighter verse. So be sure to subscribe to "Will The Next Generation Treasure Christ?" by email. This will deliver all our new content directly to your inbox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you posted on this Tony, b/c it is making me give the fighter verses a second look. Particularly as we think about family worship, it is good to think through various things we can employ. We memorize Scripture during our family time, but haven't used the fighter verses up to this point (though my wife used them personally for a season). For a few months now, we have simply been reading an extended passage every day until it is memorized. Our little girl is three and does quite well with it (better than I actually!). Thanks again. Joe

Tony Kummer said...

Thanks for your feedback. Your plan sounds very good. I really like the idea of church wide accountability for Fighter Verses. If we set the expectation that every member is meditating and memorizing the Bible then it might actually happen.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on that one Tony. Some godly peer pressure is often a very good thing!