Sunday, March 04, 2007

Do you really want God to be in control?

When God sends trials how do you respond? It can take me weeks (or years) to acknowledge the wisdom of God. Things like lost keys, broken toilets, and burnt spaghetti show what is really in my heart. In those moments my idolatry is exposed.

Here is a little article by Paul Tripp where he works out the same struggle. It helps me to see that God is working in life's trials. He shows that life's problems only reveal our deeper spiritual problems. He confesses:

But I've had to face the fact once again that I don't want God to be sovereign, I want to be. And there are moments when I don't want to be made holy. I would much rather have life be predictable and comfortable, thank you. I don't want to experience the hardships of uncomfortable grace even though I know I still need to grow and change.

So, once again I've confessed to the idolatry that is behind my anger. I've confessed how much I worship at the altars of comfort and control. And I've prayed that some day, by God's powerful and patient grace, that I'd be on the other side of the border where I'd treasure God's work of grace inside of me more than I treasure the ease of the world outside of me. I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was last year. How about you?
For more wise counsel visit Paul's blog here.

No comments: