Friday, March 31, 2006

Servetus Tactic: Defined and Exposed

The Servetus tactic is an excellent way to make a name for yourself or your blog. Here is the exclusive "How To Guide." It is based on the old proverb, “All press is good press.” Being an actual heritic is not requrired, but it does help.

1. Find an enemy
2. Enter their Geneva - aka their comment section.
3. Call for debate
4. Get martyred
5. Enjoy being infamous – at least for a few days.

I am not saying this is a bad practice. But we need to be honest.

“I’m a prophet by trade, but a salesman by blood.” Derek Webb

We need to laugh about the bizarre sociology created by technology.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am guilty of the Servetus tactic myself. Last Christmas, I started a little blog-war with a friend about Santa Claus. I took the position in favor of Santa, arguing that imagination is not the enemy of Christ. I had C.S. Lewis for support. But my Calvin bested me and Santa was - - convicted of heresy. See the trail HERE

SPECIAL BONUS SECTION:
Top Ten (Plus One) Ways to Build Blog Traffic by leaving comments.

1. Start a controversy with a good blog
2. Use overheated language
3. Violate the 9th commandment
4. Get angry
5. Reinterpret history
6. Pronounce anathema
7. Quote Spurgeon out of context
8. Play the martyr
9. Quote private emails
10. Be quick to speak and slow to listen
11. Always - Link back to your own blog

3 comments:

G. F. McDowell said...

I CONDEMN YOU FOR YOUR MANIFEST HERESY.

Tony Kummer said...

I reply: IT takes one to know one.

I challenge you to a public debate.

G. F. McDowell said...

Okay, 30 February 2007, Louisville. YOU'RE GOING DOWN I say, if they say knives, we say knives. If they say guns, we say guns. But I want to hold our turf the way we've always held it, with skin!