Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Some thoughts on humility

A few of my readers may know I was recently hired as a full time children's minister. I am still in transition but have high hopes about what God will do in my new church. Here is the newsletter article I just finished. It was a little outside the box but I hope it will encourage the church. I hope it will encourage you as well.

Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV) Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

I have wondered what a church would look like if it truly lived out this scripture. It would be nothing short of sensational. This kind of genuine love would attract outsiders like a magnet. But the right question is how can I personally live out this command. This passage examines the motives of our hearts. It challenges us to put the interests of others ahead of our own interests. Likewise, 1 Peter 5:5 speaks of being clothed with humility toward one another. We often take care to look our best on Sunday morning – but do we prepare our hearts? Can others see our humility and love? The text continues:

Philippians 2:5-7 (ESV) Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Jesus was worthy of honor but he chose to become our servant. He was God in the flesh but suffered rejection, torture and execution. He did not press for his rights or preferences. We are not greater than our Lord and we must follow him into humility. It will be my goal at Calvary to truly live out this scripture – to consider each of you as more significant than myself. Pray for me in this and I pray that many of you will join me.

Your servant in Christ,

Tony Kummer

Will The Next Generation Treasure Christ?

5 comments:

Russell said...

"This is the one to who I will look: he who humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."- Isa 66:2

In his new book "Humility: True Greatnes (not published yet) C.J. Mahaney says this of humilty:
"...we find motivation and purpose rooted in this amazing fact, humility draws the gaze of our sovereign God."

Your intentions are good! Be encouraged that as you walk this out and see your intentions come to fruition, you will be doing so under the loving gaze of oru awesome God!

Peace and Grace

Bhedr said...

Hey guy,
This is a great opportunity for you. The Lord is fulfilling the desires of your heart. You have a refreshing blog.
Our church has asked me to do the same thing but it is a part time venture. I am very excited about it. I will be teaching Jr Church. Ages 4-8. I look forward to any advice or ideas you get along the way. Such a tremendous task huh.

Tony Kummer said...

Thanks, I am at the bottom of the learning curve but excited to be used by God with the little ones. My passion for children's ministry began when I took seriously my calling as a father to pastor my own kids. Our church has a lot of energy for this ministry and I am praying for God to direct it to his glory. Idea sharing is on of my goals for this blog. Thanks.
Tony

Bhedr said...

Hey thoughts on being a good father are helpful as well. I don't want to end up like Eli and Samuel.

Anonymous said...

Finally and man after God's own heart. Praise the Lord! You are the first man I know to take on the responsibility of ministering to children. I wish you were in my church. Be Blessed Have a fruitful and bountiful harvest.